Apply to be on staff
Are you a college student interested in a summer in ministry? Then a summer at Camp Connect at Epworth By The Sea on St. Simons Island, Georgia might just be the place to serve! As a camp counselor, you will be able to minister to hundreds of youth and children throughout the summer, while making Christian friendships with other staff members that last a lifetime. As a paid position, staff members on the Leadership Team will commit to nine weeks of service which will include serving at high school, middle school, and elementary camps, as well as closing the summer serving at a camp for foster children. The summer will run from May 23 - July 25, 2021. These summer camps are sponsored by the South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church.
Below you will find information that will help inform you about the Leadership Team experience. We hope you will prayerfully consider how God is leading you.
REQUIREMENTS FOR LEADERSHIP TEAM
Who can apply for the LEADERSHIP TEAM?
The LT experience is open to any college student who has completed at least one year of college. Application is open to all, but applicants should remember that this is a United Methodist summer camp ministry. Applicants should be able to discuss their Christian faith journey with ease.
What is the application process?
All applicants must fill out an online application form for either a "Returning Counselor" or a "First Year Counselor" by February 1, 2021. The application form includes questions about experience, education, activities, skill sets, and faith journey. Each applicant is required to distribute three online reference form links. Applications are not considered complete until all reference forms have been returned. Three other references must be listed on the application as well. A background check authorization form completes the application process.
Interviews will be set up after the application has been received and reviewed. Interview time and location will be confirmed via e-mail. Each year approximately 16-20 young people are selected for the Leadership Team. Some applicants will be placed on a waiting list and notified if a position becomes available. The interview will include questions about a person's faith, experience, reason for applying, etc.
What are the responsibilities of a LEADERSHIP TEAM member?
The Leadership Team provides for the day-to-day operation of the summer camp program. Each LT member is assigned to be a camp counselor for High School Camp (rising 9th-12th), Elementary Camp (rising 4th-5th) and Middle School Camp (rising 6th-8th). Assignments are made weekly. Each regular camp session runs from Monday afternoon to Friday before lunch.
As an LT member one can expect to:
- Be co-cabin counselors with other team members assisting in supervision of campers at night and leading cabin devotions. (normal ratio of one team member to 8-10 campers).
- Co-teach bible study sessions with another team member.
- Lead and participate in large group games.
- Participate and supervise campers during daily Morning Show and Evening Worship (select team members also lead music and drama for these activities).
- Have time for one-on-one conversation and ministry with campers.
Training and orientation is provided and required for each team member.
LT members are expected, after being trained, to:
- Be flexible
- Have a servant's heart
- Have a clear understanding of liability and safety issues
- Be able to work with other team members
- Be able to responsibly fulfill all duties
- Be able to share their faith journey with campers and other team members
What are the benefits of being a LT member?
- Opportunities for Christian leadership and personal spiritual growth.
- Opportunities to meet and serve with other college students from across the state and beyond.
- Room and board is provided throughout the summer assignment (meals during the week are provided by the camp facility; housing is in air conditioned cabins).
- Beginning salary of $2,000 per team member. Team members who serve multiple summers will be paid $2,400.
For more information, contact the Director of Camping & Retreats, Suzanne Akins at firstname.lastname@example.org or (912) 638-8626 ext 107.